The Science of Reading (NEW)
Navigating the controversial world of reading instruction can be overwhelming. In this course, The Science of Reading, you will review current research and understanding and apply these ideas to your own classroom reading instruction. The course text, Visible Learning for Literacy, Grades K-12, will look at the effect size of different approaches and strategies. You will leave this course with an understanding of when to use each approach, which routines are most effective, and how to integrate the science of reading into curriculum planning.
Five credit students will choose an additional text to further their study of the Science of Reading on a course topic of their choice.
For K-12 Teachers
This class is offered for 3 or 5 Quarter Credits
Purchase the course text:
● Visible Learning for Literacy: Implementing the Practices That Work Best to Accelerate Student Learning Grades K - 12 by Douglas Fisher, Nancy Frey, and John Hattie, Corwin Literacy, 2016
Five Credit Students will purchase one of the following:
You are encouraged to wait to purchase and select your independent study text until you have had a chance to familiarize yourself with the course topics in the first 5 assignments.
● Teaching Literacy in the Visible Learning Classroom: K-5 Classroom Companion to Visible Learning for Literacy by Douglas Fisher, Nancy Frey, and John Jattie, 2017
● Teaching Literacy in the Visible Learning Classroom: 6-12 Classroom Companion to Visible Learning for Literacy by Douglas Fisher, Nancy Frey, and John Jattie, 2017
● The Science of Reading: A Handbook, 2nd Edition by Snowling, Hume, and Nation, 2022, Second Edition
● Or choose another text that interests you that aligns with the course topics
Register Anytime! You can start your course TODAY!
1. Click "Registration" below. Our site will redirect you to an SPU registration page where you will pay both the TINT and SPU fee with a credit card.
2. You will receive an email from SPU with your receipt and a link to the coursework.
3. You have a year to complete the work at your own pace. Your grade will be posted on your transcript within a few weeks (and often sooner) of you finishing!
Option 1: Non-Credit/Audit TINT Tuition Fee (30 PDUs): $525
Option 2: 3 Quarter Credit (60 PDUs) = TINT Tuition Fee: $525
+ $165 SPU Credit Fee (Click here for SPU Info) = $690
Option 3: 5 Quarter Credit (100 PDUs) = TINT Tuition Fee: $715
+ $275 SPU Credit Fee (Click here for SPU Info) = $990